A Tale of Two Yarns: Knitting & Crochet Blog Week

Recently this event has grabbed my attention: 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. Each day there is a topic and accompanying description to inspire a blog post. What if the topic of a day isn’t relevant or inspiring? If I feel stumped, there is even a wildcard suggestion that can be added into the mix. I think this is a fantastic idea! I think that this week my blog will have a more personal feel as I focus on my specialty of crocheting.
Knitting and Crochet Blog Week

Day 1: A Tale of Two Yarns

Here is the description provided. “Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.”
I love Red Heart Yarn for making my amigurumi. I’ve even written an entire blog post about it (here). There are so many colors available (I have almost 100 different colors right now!), it is very durable, and not too pricy. But more importantly they are great for amigurumi (yarn dolls/toys). In the past few years the worsted weight, acrylic yarn has become softer. I like the fact that there is very little elasticity and that helps me to minimize the spaces between stitches (don’t want the stuffing to show through!). If Lion Brand’s Vanna’s Choice was more readily available in the same sized skeins, with a wide color selection, with good prices, I would add that to the mix. But locally, it is not as available.
SDC11497SDC11501SDC11494SDC11506SDC11500SDC11499
I’m sure that if there are other yarn lovers reading this blog, that they are currently shaking their head in displeasure. Every yarn artist has a yarn preference, and for many really great reasons. Even if you were taught by the same person, you have most likely personalized your technique.
The second yarn is one that I yearn after: would be a washable wool brand that would be available in a rainbow of bright colors. I love the smell of fresh wool and roving – I sometimes smell skeins at my local yarn shop. The lanolin oil wouldn’t dry out my hands as much. And I love the idea of natural fibres. Sadly, it just isn’t practical for my amigurumi business (not as durable, more detailed care instructions, much more expensive and a smaller color selection).
Whenever I find time from designing new patterns (I current have 19 patterns and counting, click here to see them), hopefully I have time to make a wool project.  I already have a stash of wool waiting :)
Bailey Bunny   Delia Daisy   Drako Dragonfly 1   greys  Louis Lobster Maude & Mona Mermaid   Seamus Seagull Thomas Turtle 

Thank you for taking a moment of you day to visit my blog,
Susan
(Amigrumi Artisan, TheSilverHook.ca)

Comments

Popular Posts